Kumon Math and Reading Centers
Build a successful, thriving business while making a lasting impact on the lives of children
What is Kumon?
Kumon is the world’s largest afterschool learning program*, designed to give kids an academic advantage. It’s difference to other learning programs lies in the fact that Kumon goes far beyond tutoring by enabling kids to develop critical thinking skills and mindset to learn new materials independently. With the Kumon Program and the individualized instructions, kids progress on their own pace, and only when they have mastered the task at hand. For kids, this translates into results that go far beyond school.
*Based upon review of other education franchises information on Entrepreneur.com
Kumon was developed in 1954, in Japan, by a teacher named Toru Kumon, who wanted his son Takeshi to develop a love for learning. His goal was to thoroughly prepare his son for the rigorous high school and college entry exams.
With short, incremental daily assignments that required mastery before proceeding, Takeshi progressed and his abilities improved significantly. Other parents took notice of these results, and the Kumon Method was born.
Today, Kumon has helped millions of children gain academic advantage in 48 countries. In the US, Kumon has been active since 1974, and currently has more than 1,500 centers.
Are you the Ideal Candidate for Opening a Kumon Center?
In order to be eligible to open a Kumon Center, the ideal candidate needs to possess:
- A passion for and dedication to education and working with children
- A four-year college degree (teaching background helpful, but not essential)
- Required capital needed to establish and develop a Kumon Math and Reading Center
- The ability to create and manage a center that effectively motivates children using the Kumon Learning Method, and an interest in and commitment to helping children in your community
- The ability to deliver an excellent customer experience while maintaining dedication to Kumon’s core values
- A good understanding of your area of opportunity and strong ties to the community
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- A full-time commitment to Kumon — an average of six to eight hours per business day, 40 hours per week
- U.S. Citizenship or Permanent Legal Resident status (Green Card)
Top Publications Agree: Kumon Consistently Leads the Way in Growth and Support
It is well known that leaving a full-time job and hitting the restart button on your career to open a new business is a huge commitment. But Kumon’s consistently high industry rankings mean you can partner with Kumon and take that step with confidence.
- 2016 #1 Tutoring Services Franchise - Entrepreneur Magazine
- 2016 #40 Franchise 500 - Entrepreneur Magazine
- 2016 #15 Top Global Franchise - Entrepreneur Magazine
- 2016 Ranked in Bond’s top 100 Franchises
When it comes to giving entrepreneurs an advantage in getting started, Kumon supplies qualified franchisees with all the right tools and resources. Franchisees participate in a 12-day program – over a four-month period – to immerse themselves in the Kumon Curriculum and Self-Learning Method. Training takes place in sessions at two locations: regionally at the local Branch Offices; and at Kumon University in Teaneck, NJ.
Continuing education programs are also an important part of helping franchisees succeed, so ongoing meetings and seminars are available to all Kumon Center owners. Kumon Branch Offices also play active roles in supporting franchisees by providing assistance in administration as well as growth and development.
Testimonials from Kumon’s Owners
“One of the best parts of my job is watching children develop that love of learning” - Meela
“It is a lot of work, but trust me, you will enjoy it, and you will know that you are doing something great for the society” - LaTonya
“Since I didn’t want to start from scratch, being part of a larger organization gave me the support that I needed” - Craig
"It’s a great company, its satisfying because you are developing great students, and someone who believes that every child has a potential, will do great” - Hina
“If you make the investment upfront, and you are patient, and you make your inroads in the community, and you build your enrollments, you absolutely can make a very fine living as a Kumon Instructor” - John